Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday

It's Sunday. Easter, although that's not my thing. I've been working on Prime Number stuff all morning--accepted some wonderful stories--and I'm about to turn my attention to house and yard chores, of which there are too many to list. (I'm a big fan of lists, but this one would take too long!)

Top priority is the yard. Lots to do out there, but I think the most satisfying accomplishment for the day will be getting the garden tilled. I have struggled with weeds each year I've done this garden, so I'm trying a new approach this year. I'll lay garden plastic over the dirt, and cut through it to plant. I'm also not bothering with seeds this year, unless come across something I must have. Instead, I plan to get plants from the farmer's market and go with those. Instant garden. Instant after the tilling, the laying of plastic, the digging, the mulching, the watering.

A couple of days ago I went down to the garden to inspect and move the compost around a little. The only sign of life, other than weeds, are some very healthy looking chives. When I was done, I left the gate open because . . . I'm not sure why. I guess I thought it would nice to let critters come in and eat the weeds if they wanted to. Yesterday I was walking the dog and he noticed something inside the garden fence (we were outside). He sniffed it and I discovered it was a big Eastern Box Turtle. When I went back later, it was gone. (I'd left the gate open again.)

The lawnmower broke. Again. While I was mowing. It's a 10-year-old lawn tractor, although it had major service done last year. Yesterday I suddenly noticed that it wasn't responding to the steering wheel as I was riding. I kept going straight, just so I could get a sense of the problem and then I saw it. The arm that connects the steering mechanism to the left front wheel was dangling loose. I stopped and inspected--a nut had disappeared. (I'm not all that handy, but it's not hard to compare the same setup on the right and left and figure out what's different.) So I searched my garage for a nut, found one--the largest I had--and gave it a try. It didn't quite fit. Made a trip to Lowes, but the next largest was going to be too big! So I made do with the small one, and hoped I didn't do damage to the bolt as I tightened. It's not quite still, but at least I was able to continue mowing, and could steer.

I have to make a presentation in my French class tomorrow: Je me présente. I wrote it all out but I don't think we're allowed to use note . . .

Okay, gearing up for chores.

No comments: