Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2010 New Yorker Story of the Year--Nominations are Open

As the year winds down, it's time to think about the best short stories from The New Yorker. Last year, as you may recall, we declared two great stories co-winners of the 2009 Story of the Year honors: Chris Adrian's "A Tiny Feast" and George Saunders's "Victory Lap."

To nominate, send me an email or leave a comment here mentioning your favorites. I'll take those nominations into consideration in formulating a list of the Top Ten New Yorker Stories of 2010, and then in late December I'll post a poll for voting. I'll announce the winner on January 1, 2011.

All of this year's stories (and a considerable number of novel excerpts) have been discussed to some degree on this blog. To refresh your recollection, brows through the posts: 2010 New Yorker Fiction.

I'm very curious to know what your favorites are!

9 comments:

Tim Weed said...

I'm going with the Jim Shepard story, Cliff. Kind of a lackluster year, but that one stood out.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, lackluster year, but there were a few greats.

1) Both Jennifer Egan's: "Safari" and "Ask Me If I Care"
2) "Foster" by Claire Keegan
3) "Twins" by C.E. Morgan

Unknown said...

Anon-
I liked all those, too, although only "Foster" is a story. The others are novel excerpts.

Thomas G. said...

oh, my mistake--didn't know that we couldn't nominate excerpts.

Len said...

"The Landlord," by Wells Tower.

I agree it is sort of like reading a condensed novel, but it was a great job of defining the protag by the characters in his life.

I heard Jim Shepard read his short story "Boys Town" at Skidmore. It's a great story when he reads it.

Leslie said...

Just scrolled through your tag of NYer 2010, curious to see which stories I remembered this year...several are novel excerpts, but here are the ones that stuck with me:
Jim Shepard, Boystown
Karen Russell, Dredgeman's Revelation
Nicole Krauss (novel excerpt)
ZZ Packer, (novel excerpt)
Junot Diaz (oops--didn't note title)
Claire Keegan, Foster
Jennifer Egan, Safari (novel)

Mark Richardson said...

Granted, I didn't read a majority of the stories, but my vote is for "The Yellow" by Samantha Hunt.

priscillafcutler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
priscillafcutler said...

"Birdsong" by
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie