Friday, July 23, 2010

Sewanee Writers' Conference -- Day 10


On Thursday, the first event was Jill McCorkle's craft lecture in which she employed an extended anatomical metaphor for writing fiction--using the heart and brain working together to create and the lungs to breathe life into the result. (It went on from there: imagine food for thought--the stomach--and the intestines as editors, etc. The bottom line: "Don't keep anything you can live without."

There was an editors' panel after that, but I had work to do and have heard the panel before, so I excused myself. Our workshop gathered and we discussed two stories--with less than our usual efficiency. I think our concentration is failing us as we near the end of the Conference.

I went to Rachel Hadas's reading later in the afternoon and we all attended the Conference reception at the French House before dinner--I took a bunch of pictures, ate, drank, etc.

The final event of the day was Randall Kenan's amazing reading. He read from the prologue of a book he's been working on for a long time. I hope it's finished soon so we can read the whole thing!

No comments: