Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Shenandoah to Move Online

This comes as something of a surprise to me, given that Shenandoah, the Washington & Lee Review, has until now resisted accepting electronic submissions, but I've just learned that in 2011 the magazine will cease its print publication and become a web-only magazine. The announcement from R.T. Smith puts a brave face on the change, but to me it doesn't sound good. As talented as WLU students are, I'm not sure I like the sound of them participating in the editorial process, as Smith says they will. Still, I know the magazine, for which I used to read slush, has been under pressure from the school, and we all have to get real in difficult times. Web magazines are the future. I just didn't expect Shenandoah to be leading the way.

I learned this news from Leslie Pietrzyk's Work-in-Progress, who has her own thoughts on the matter.


courtmerrigan said...

They're still resisting electronic submissions. The mag will be online, but you still have to sub snail mail.

File under, missing the point.

Clifford Garstang said...

Yes, see: Shenandoah Fall 2011

But, one thing at a time. This is a fairly big change for them, and I imagine online submissions is only a year or so down the road.

courtmerrigan said...

I would hope so!