Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The New Yorker Story of the Year -- 2009: Nominations are Open

For the past couple of years I have been commenting on each piece of fiction appearing in The New Yorker, and I've also been naming at Story of the Year with the help of my readers. The winner of the New Yorker Story of the Year for 2008 was the terrific "Dinner Party" by Joshua Ferris. And now it is time to turn our attention to this year's stories. Please leave a comment here, or send me an email, nominating a story for the Top Ten. Voting will take place in the last half of December.

Will the winner be Yiyun Li? Jonathan Lethem? Will Antonya Nelson become the award's first two-time winner? Or will Joshua Ferris make it two in a row?

Let me hear from you!

15 comments:

Ravi Mangla said...

"Idols" by Tim Gautreaux

Kevin Watson said...

I agree. "Idols" by Tim Gautreaux

Angharad said...

A Tiny Feast by Chris Adrian

Anonymous said...

Salman Rushdie and Tea Obreht

Pamela said...

I'm thinking the George Saunders story should be in the running--was it called "Victory Lap"?

Brendan Mathews said...

Yes, "Victory Lap" by George Saunders. By far the best of the year.

Leslie said...

I liked the tiger one...was that Tea Obreht?

Leslie said...

Also, Ziggurat, the one about the labyrinth. Can't remember if you were a fan or not, but I'm impressed that I remember it (and the tiger) all these months later.

Unknown said...

I agree with most of the stories mentioned here and add "Complicity" by Julian Barnes - loved that one.

Stephan Clark said...

"Idols" by Tim Gautreaux gets my vote. I enjoyed Yiyun Li's story as well.

cfcasper said...

Tim Gautreaux's "Idols". The Téa Obreht story and George Saunders's "Victory Lap" get honorable mentions from me here also.

Chris said...

I vote for "Complicity" by Julian Barnes

A. Putty said...

"Victory Lap" by George Saunders, as well. I liked "Idols", but man, can Saunders write.

Anonymous said...

I agree - I loved "A Tiny Feast," "Ziggurat," "Victory Lap," and "The Tiger's Wife."

But I also vote for Antonya Nelson's "Soldier's Joy" and William Styron's "Rat Beach."

Pam P.

Anonymous said...

Adrian's "A Tiny Feast"