Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Literary Fiction Defined

Here's a nice essay by Andrew Nicoll, author of The Good Mayor: A miss, then a hit. The main point of the article is that his agent insisted that he pretend to be a woman while she was trying to sell his book. He did, but she failed. And then he got a deal after she dropped him and the book has done very well.

It was a learning process for him.
I found out that all serious literary fiction MUST be written in the continuous historic present. Throughout the whole story, nothing must happen – in fact there must be no story at all – and the whole thing must be written in a tone of unremitting gloom. My book isn't like that. It's got a beginning, a middle and an end and everything.


Tania Hershman said...

Utterly brilliant article! 19 countries. Good for Andrew!

Kevin Watson said...

Love this article. Trying to publish for the market would drive me nuts, which is why I only publish writing that I love.